Imagine a small tropical resort of romantic bungalows for two, many with a private plunge pool. It’s serenely set high on a cliff amidst swaying palms, exotic fruit and flowers and features sensational views over the sparkling sapphire-blue waters of a South Pacific lagoon . . . and that’s just for starters. Add in three swimming pools, a superb, high-ceilinged restaurant that offers the best of local specialities including spider crab and lobster, plus a fascinating harbour and township just 10 minutes away.
Then, turn imagination into reality - at Mangoes Resort and Restaurant on Efate Island, Vanuatu.
Mangoes is a carefully designed collection of just 29 beautifully appointed, boutique bungalows, perfectly situated above Port Vila, capital of the multi-island Republic of Vanuatu. Available exclusively to discerning over-18 vacationers only, each romantically louvered bungalow features the thoughtful comforts that make you feel immediately pampered - from Super- king size beds to a comfortable sitting area and a personal, furnished terrace plus full room service from 7am to 9pm. A light breakfast is included.
There is a choice of four distinct styles of bungalow, some with luscious garden views, others with aspects of the lagoon and sculpted coastline. 10 have a private plunge pool and all feature up-to -the-minute, stylish tropical-mode decor, with Wi-Fi, telephone, TV, free use of a DVD library and access to a gym and tennis court at The Terraces, next door; the delightful bathrooms include shampoo, conditioner and oversized beach towels.
Port Vila is just 10 minutes away and here there’s a bustling harbour and markets still with a distinct touch of a French colonial past. There’s a choice of sanded beaches on the island and truly remarkable opportunities for adventure on or under the water, on Efate Island or on other islands of the nation.
There’s just as much to be said for simply lazing away the day on a bungalow terrace with cooling pool dips and speedy room service.
- Round Island tours with an entertaining local guide bring the island’s past and present to life.
- Efate Island’s white sand beaches and fascinating coastline make perfect goals for gentle exploration.
- Visit Cultural Villages that reveal the Melanesian culture of Vanuatu’s long past including the prehistoric Lapita people and pottery made centuries BC.
- Climb the stairs to discover the Mele Cascades Waterfall, perhaps Vanuatu’s most famous and beautiful natural attraction.
- A visit to Mangoes means it’s time to relax- we certainly encourage being pampered! We have our own massage therapist who will take away any aches, pains that you have arrived with.
- Three separate spaciously designed swimming pools will be the perfect way to refresh–One is a lap pool for those people who wish to keep fit. Ten rooms have their own private 15sqm pool.
- Crystal clear lagoon waters invite diving excursions and diving lessons will increase your enjoyment.
- Visit Port Vila’s covered market regularly for fresh tropical foods, fascinating handicrafts and hours of browsing and shopping; expect to find other pop up markets wherever you are, especially when cruise ships are in port.
- Snorkeling in shallow waters reveals an underwater wonderland.
- Deep-sea fishing adventures and yacht charters also show you more of the region’s great beauty.
- Parasailing and water skiing are widely available and professional instruction will help you shares their challenges.
- For golfers who can’t do without, there are a number of small courses at resorts around Port Vila as well as an established 18 hole championship course in Port Vila. Host to the PGA sanctioned Vanuatu Open, the Port Vila Country Club is the most professional course in Vanuatu.
- Half and full day riding opportunities for all ages and skills include coastal explorations, sunset rides and an excursion inland to a Cultural Village.
- Stone and wood carvings in both ancient and modern styles make relevant and striking souvenirs.
- Wherever you go, you’ll be entranced by the colour and patterns of locally made sarongs, dresses, shirts, shorts, cotton beach bags or surf wallets, perfect partners for your holiday style.
- Bead jewellery is especially creative and makes excellent small gifts to take home with you.
- Woven goods and other traditional handicrafts from large and small Vanuatu islands are well worth exploring; find them at markets rather than in traditional shops.
- The glorious shells of Vanuatu’s shores and lagoon are fashioned into a host of fascinating trinkets and jewellery.
- And local cafes and bakeries often make excellent pastries and cakes.